Sunday, February 1, 2009

NYC 2010 Qualifying Race #2: Gridiron Classic, February 1, 2009

I ran the 4-mile Gridiron Classic this morning in Central Park with my friend Jess. Because it's Super Bowl Sunday, get it? The race was accompanied by a football-throwing competition that neither Jess nor I participated in.

This was a fun race -- coming on the heels of my 14-mile run yesterday, there was no way I was going to run this hard. Jess and I ended up pacing ourselves well, hitting 10-minute miles at each split and speeding up a bit at the very end. We were pleased.

I would be remiss in discussing the Gridiron Classic if I did not mention the Very Special National Anthem singing at the beginning. If you are reading this, and you are the person who sang the national anthem this morning, please don't take this the wrong way but you should seek out one of the many karaoke bars in the greater New York metropolitan area and leave the anthem to, say, Jennifer Hudson. It's not your fault it's a difficult song to sing.

He was doing some kind of fake vibrato thing with his voice and hit a real clunker of a note on the "And the rockets' red glare" line, which caused me to snort-laugh, which caused Jess to laugh, which made everyone in our starting corral laugh. It set the tone for the day and reminded me that running can just be a fun morning outside with up to 4,999 of my fellow citizens. Running with Jess helped too -- she makes everything more fun.

We had brunch afterwards that came with complimentary alcohol -- yes please! -- and thoroughly enjoyed our cheesy eggs and vodka. I came home and took a long nap, one of the greatest pleasures of running.

Now I'm watching the actual Super Bowl. Or, rather, the commercials, as I'm still stewing over the Titans' playoff loss. Next year, Tennessee.

Here are my race results from today.

1 comment:

JDawg said...

Aw! You're awesome. I had a great time. That "singer" really was quite amazing.