Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bed Stuy 10K, October 11, 2009



Gorgeous fall day. Brooklyn neighborhood that I haven't explored. Both good elements for a fun race. I really enjoyed this one - I kept it slow so I could enjoy the great scenery. I loved all the little kids who cheered on the racers! And the group with water at mile 3 - actually handing it to us rather than forcing us to mob a table! Nice touches.

And I enjoyed supporting Brooklyn. It was nice to do a local race that gives back to the community. I love New York Road Runners and all, but I see the most amazing spirit when I do smaller, more local races and it's very satisfying both as a New York City resident and a runner.

This was a good course - almost completely flat - with good signage. I was taking it easy today but I can see how it would be a great race to really run all-out.

All in all, a very chill way to spend my Sunday morning.

5 comments:

Lady Southpaw said...

Yay Brooklyn! I like the local races too. Now that I have my 9+1 done maybe I'll do more of them too:)

Are you considering doing the Nike Human Race coming up?

Lela said...

I finished my 9+1 too! I thought about the Nike Human Race since it's in Brooklyn, but I'm not sure yet.

Sabrina Marthaler Hoppe said...

I just read all of your entries. I am so jealous of your year! I just got to start running again in late August, and have to s-l-o-w-l-y build up my mileage. I am also really jealous of you getting to run & train with a group - I have a hell of a time getting anyone to run with me this time of year. In short, GREEEEEEN.

Oh, and congrats on kicking ass all year long!

Lela said...

Sabrina, thanks so much! That means a lot. Much appreciated!

Are there any Team in Training groups around you? They do a virtual Team in Training thing as well, where you download everything and follow it and check in with others. That could be something for you.

Sabrina Marthaler Hoppe said...

No groups near me. Closest one is 100 miles away. I am in the STICKS, lady!

Virtual, though, eh? I'll have to check into that. Thanks!