On January 10, I completed the first of nine qualifying races (and one stint as a volunteer) to qualify for the New York City Marathon in 2010. I've always dreamed about running NYC, even before I knew I could actually run. I watch the marathon every year, cheering for friends and family and occasional really hot Italian men who respond well to my cries of "Forza!"
The race was the five-mile Fred Lebow Classic, named for the man who founded the NYC Marathon. A good way to kick off the process.
Team in Training Brooklyn ran this marathon qualifier as part of our training, so I met my group in Central Park around 7:30 for the 8 a.m. race. Riding the subway to Manhattan on race mornings is always fun. I'm always the only runner for several stops on the Q train through Brooklyn. When I get to downtown Brooklyn I start seeing people with numbers filter on to the train, and we exchange knowing looks at each other's running tights. By the time we hit the transfer point for the uptown 4/5/6 trains, the platform is full of runners, and more and more pack on as the train gets closer to Central Park.
This race started on 99th Street and the East Drive in Central Park. Bagwatch was on the road leading up from 102nd Street, so I checked my stuff. For the first time I realized that NYRR's bagwatch system is according to the LAST number on your bib, not the first. Oops.
I met my teammates and we took a few photos and commiserated about the cold -- at the start line they said it was 24F out. Brrr. Then we headed to the start. I had a pink bib, putting me in the starting corral for the 9-10-minute/milers, reflecting my 9:22/mile pace -- a personal best for myself that I set in a NYRR race in December.
The gun went off and we were off! Thanks to judicious layering I wasn't as cold in this race as I was in December, and I felt good. The first mile was packed with people and I was frustrated because I couldn't get a good rhythm established. Once the pack cleared out, I was on my way and feeling good. According to my watch, I was hitting nine-minute miles (at least until I hit the wrong button on my watch and lost my time at mile 3).
I yelled at a woman in a giant fur coat walking three tiny hairless dogs and a husband who crossed the street in front of me by the reservoir. Hello, there are signs all over the park announcing a road race. Don't mess up my pace!
By this time I was broiling hot and had unzipped my jacket and stripped off both pairs of gloves as I headed for the end. I crossed the finish line feeling great -- I did the math and figured that I had come in under 45 minutes, setting another personal record. I had figured I would run a 47-minute race.
Here's a photo of me crossing the finish line. I had my number on the back of my jacket so they didn't get identifiable shots of me running, but I'm glad to have this one. And yes Mom, I put my gloves back on right after that.
Here are my official results. Check out that 8:52/mile pace! This weekend for qualifying race #2, I'll get a different color bib and a new starting corral for my efforts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment